Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Naptime: Kids hate it, Adults wish it happened

For a person who works at a daycare, all of the children being awake during nap time can be a disaster.  In reality, we want the children to be able to relax their bodies (to prepare for rigorous afternoon play) and we need a break.  Today, during nap time however, I was glad the kids weren't sleeping.  Only because I think they were trying to butter me up so they could get off of their mats earlier.

Child 1: Roberta, did you know I love you?
Me: Oh, that's so sweet.  I love you too.
Child 1: I also really love your dress.  It has butterflies on it.
Me: Thank you, but you really do have to nap.
Child 2: Roberta, did you know that I love you and your dress more than "Child 1"?
Me: Well, I love you too and I'm sure that both of you love me the same, now go to sleep for a bit.

In moments of stress, and insanity working with a ton of children, it is hard to remember that moments like this happen.  It's moments where the kids tell you that you hugging them was their favorite part of their day, to a kid coming to you every day to get braids in her hair, to two little boys telling you that they love you that make this job worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment