Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Links, Links and More Links (and maybe a paragraph about my life)

Above: Street Art in Poland

This morning, after leaving my house sitting assignment, I was able to have a few hours to myself and go to my favorite coffee shop in West Seattle, Freshy's.  I have been coming here for almost six years, and always love a cup of coffee with a piping hot bowl of soup.  Today's selection includes a vanilla latte and braised pork stew with hominy and chipotle!  Delicious.  Tonight I go back home, which I thought I would not look forward to but surprisingly, I miss my room and am excited to reunite with my record collection.  I am excited for my triumphant return to the Active Older Adults Water Aerobics class I have been attending (bahaha) and excited to hang out with my mom on the couch downstairs and ridicule her taste in dowdy British comedies that aren't really that funny.

Like always, here are a few things that have caught my attention recently in the news and the interwebs:

What Color Are You? A Pantone Driven Art Project - Here is a link to a project by the color company Pantone which in case you are not familiar are the people behind the "colors of the year" (or whatever they call it).  This project shows that variety in skin color doesn't get broken down into just "white" or "black."

We Need Progressive Religion by Sara Robinson - Pretty self-explanatory title. Check it out for an interesting perspective on progressive religion and social change.

Is Local Food Bad for the Economy? by Tamsin McMahon - Ever since I was in Chicago and studied Food Justice and the connection between access to healthy foods and poverty (among many other things), I have been fascinated and inspired to attempt to make a difference in my local food economy.  While I occasionally crave cheetos or another corn-based gnarly snack, I have been making more of an effort to eat locally grown produce.  This article, from the Canadian publication Maclean's talks about the debate between locovores (the term for people who only eat locally produced food) and the backers of the corporation-based economy.  When I came back from Chicago, I was hoping to start gardening - something that hasn't quite happened yet as we moved to a place without a yard, but I am hoping soon to start on the path to self-sustainability.

Thinking Kink: Does Female Submission Mean Oppression? by Catherine Scott - A reaction to many feminist thinkers feeling that the BDSM community promotes female oppression.  As an avid reader of Dan Savage for many years, I have always felt like the sexuality of an individual is their own prerogative and that people should go for what makes them happiest.  Also, as a "card carrying" feminist, I don't really know where the line begins (or ends) on female submission in sexual relationships.  

"I Suck": How Guys Use Self-Deprecation Against You by Hugo Schwyzer  - An article from Jezebel which argues that the "I'm so sorry, I'm an asshole. An ungrateful asshole." speech (which I am sure most women have heard a million times, as I sure have) is only a piece in the cycle of abuse.  Fascinating, and honestly - this article kind of made me ill.

Race, Class, and the Stigma of Riding the Bus in America by Amanda Hess - This piece is an article talking about the "types" of people who choose to ride public transportation, and how to encourage people of different income levels to use public transportation.  Most interesting is the usage of the phrase "gentrifying" the bus system, this leads me to ask the question, "If there are changes to public transportation systems nationwide, who are those changes for and who will it leave behind?"

Hope the five people who read this enjoy my ramblings, and link obsession.  Today is gearing up to be a beautiful day, and I hope everyone gets out an enjoys the sunshine (wherever they are)!

xoxo
berts

No comments:

Post a Comment