Sunday, September 18, 2011

Maxwell Street Market


On this rainy Sunday morning, I decided that I would head up to the Maxwell Street outdoor market (pictured above) to do walk around, and enjoy the city that I just moved to.  As per usual, it was an adventure not parallel to anything that I would do in Ripon.

I got on the train, and today I decided that I was going to listen to the Sufjan Stevens album "Bring on the Illinoise," I was jamming out and really enjoying the new perspective I have gotten out of one of my favorite albums since moving here.  When I got on to the train car, it smelled of cigarette smoke and once the train started moving I found out why.  There was a man in the back of the train, opening the emergency exit doors who was smoking and drinking.  I was not surprised that someone was smoking, just that they were doing so with the door to the train open while we were travelling!

Then, I got off the train at Roosevelt to take the bus to the market when a man pulled out my headphone from my ear (note how I am already annoyed).  He then starts asking me where I'm from, and then for my number.  This made me wonder how many women actually give men their number this way, because it has to work sometimes otherwise men wouldn't do it.

Then, I made my way to the market and miraculously avoided spending money because the market had everything that you could ever want - from nuts and bolts to bras and panties.  The one thing I spent money on was a taco from a stand which blew my mind.  It was delicious, with homemade tortillas (being made in front of me) and deliciously marinated pork (al pastor).  Great!  I'm going to have to make a trip there again soon to enjoy some more tacos al pastor! 

No comments:

Post a Comment