Friday, September 16, 2011

"Government isn't a business, it should be run for the people!"


Well, today was awesome.  Earlier this week, while in class we were told that the Alderman from the 49th ward of Chicago (Rogers Park) was going to be giving us a tour of City Hall.  I was pretty excited, and thought that it was a good opportunity to further understand the way that the city government works here.  We've heard countless stories, and people all talk about city government and so far we've heard the same thing (not that its bad), "There was a Mayor named Daley for five thousand years and that just changed, and we once had an African American mayor named Harold Washington who was a reformer and broke the Democratic machine after battling the Council Wars."  But today was a different piece of the city of Chicago's story.

Yesterday, one of our professors told us that Alderman Moore had called her earlier in the day, and that it made her nervous.  Then she told us that we were going to have a change of plans.  Well, the change of plans seemed pretty damn good to me - it was going to a Rahm Emanuel press conference in Alderman Joe Moore's ward.  

When we arrived there this morning, Alderman Moore had more to say than Emanuel whose press conference was rather short but, I did get to shake Mayor Emanuel's hand! It might have even been the hand with a partially missing finger!  I was pretty star struck, in the same way that other girls might have been star struck by Justin Timberlake.  I got really embarrassed, my heart fluttered, and I'm pretty sure I blushed.  My hand even tingled for a good fifteen minutes afterward.  I would have to say that this was a good way to start my morning! 

xo


No comments:

Post a Comment