Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The End of an Era

Today marked the end of the repressive policy of Don't Ask, Don't Tell which was a compromise that left no one happy. By chance today, I visited the Hull House which was the headquarters for Jane Addams's groundbreaking work for social justice, immigrant rights, and the improvement of communities. In the mock-up of her former bedroom, there was a poem that she had written to her female companion of over thirty years. It was so beautiful, I thought maybe I should share it!

The “mine” and “thine” of wedded folk
Is often quite confusing
And sometimes when they use the “ours”
It sounds almost amusing.

But – You and I, may well defy
Both married folk and single
To do as well as we have done
The “mine” and “thine” to mingle
(Jane Addams Papers, reel 113.45.1572)




Also, I thought I would share my latest obsession, the Beyonce song "Countdown": 

No comments:

Post a Comment