Thursday, October 27, 2011

80 year old cat lady, eatin' cat food

Above: From the "Created Equal" Series, a set of pictures of many "opposite" Americans
So, I haven't posted in a while.  Blame me for being so busy and so uninspired.  I have been doing a lot of cool stuff in school, yesterday I went to a domestic violence training  and learned about talking to children who have experienced violence.  Today, I am going to do a Chinese cooking class in China town and our whole class is going to make dumplings.  Yum!  Tomorrow, I am taking the bus up to Madison and meeting up with Missy  (of Learning to be a Librarian) who is going to pick me up so that we can go to Ripon.  Here's to hoping that this weekend isn't as much of a shit show as the last few times I will be there.  Seriously, how am I supposed to go to school in a place like that?

Also, I have been thinking a lot about "the future" and how fucking scary it is.  Come May, I graduate from college.  Woah.  Those crazy, depressing, lovely, calm, happy and sad four years have already passed.  It is nuts to imagine that I am almost done.  I realized that I have a few fears of the future: being an old cat lady who eats her cat food because she is poor.  Now, I know that this isn't likely and that I am being irrational, but somehow it just seems likely enough that I am terrified.

My first piece of the irrational fear is the ever-lasting female fear of ending up alone.  Now, I know that I can do this thing called life, and I can probably do it way better by myself than with someone else, but for some god forsaken reason I am scared of being 80 and dying in a bed by myself.  Or going to my college reunion and everyone having cute, picket fence families and I will pull out wallet pictures of my cats.   

The second piece of my irrational fears of the future, the whole eating cat food fear started with my Mom, who when I was growing up she told me, "I don't care what the hell you become, Roberta.  Just don't let me eat cat food when I am old."  I guess the first goal I have after leaving college is making sure she doesn't eat cat food, and my second is making sure that I don't eat cat food. I hope that Fancy Feast's Mariner's Catch tastes as a good as it looks. 

To make this blog post less weird, I have some good links for y'all :  



No comments:

Post a Comment