Sunday, October 9, 2011

Mightier Than the Sword

Hey all!

I know, I have been a little slow on updating, but I am honestly so BUSY!  Today, I watched my roommate Emily run the Chicago Marathon, and boy am I proud of her!  This weekend has been really fun, on Friday we had a chill night down the street at our friend Kate, Katie Rose, Mojo and Kirsten's apartment! It was fun, and we did our usual jamming out to Beyonce, and drinking wine.  It was nice.

Last night, I went to the theater that Jared works at, the Annoyance Theater with Kate and Mayo.  We saw the show that they have about Rahm Emanuel's time as mayor, and his personality, and it was hilarious! I had a really great time, and then met up with Lydia for some drinks for her birthday.

The last few weeks I have been thinking a lot about this program, and who it really benefits.  I have had one hell of a time, and have been enjoying myself a lot.  However, even though there isn't much homework, the experience can be exhausting.  We have reached a point in the semester, where some of us would really kill to just go to  class at our respective colleges for one day - even to have the ability to write on a desk instead of our laps, or while walking down the street!

This program as well from my perspective is meant for people that already view things a certain way.  In the Urban Studies program, we constantly talk to people who have very strong opinions on contemporary political and socioeconomic issues.   For instance, last week we had a teacher from the Chicago Teachers Union (?) who came and told us to participate in Occupy Chicago.

I think the ACM program here in Chicago is great for people who already view the world this way, I think for someone who was perhaps of a more conservative bent would maybe find it hard to relate, or agree with many of the things we talk about.  For me, it's really nice to be around people who think like me, as unrealistic as our idealism and hope for the future can be sometimes.

I guess for people who are more conservative, it would just be an experience that really tested their boundaries and beliefs whereas for me, it is reaffirming everything I already think.

Tonight we're going out for drinks for Stephanie's birthday, and hopefully we'll get a chance to watch the Packers and the Brewers! Love.

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment