Tuesday, July 26, 2011

"This Is Where I Leave You" by Jonathan Tropper


A few weeks ago, I was skyping with Patty and she told me that I should really look up this book that she just read.  She said that she really liked it, and thought that maybe Hannah (we were also skyping with her) and I would really enjoy it.  Well, she was right.

The book, written by Jonathan Tropper is hilraious and also has some of the most realistic, and funny characters that I have read in a long time.  The book centers around the story of Judd Foxman, a man who has discovered that his wife has been having a year-long affair with his boss.  This life-changing moment results in Judd becoming jobless, living in a stingy basement, all while simultaneously hating his life. When his father dies, the family returns to their childhood home to sit Shiva which is a Jewish mourning tradition where the family must stay put in their house for seven days while the rest of the community comforts them with food and abundant visits. The kicker, Judd's dad was an atheist.

The book takes place during those seven days, while Judd is attempting to deal with the shambles that have been left behind from his former life. The book is very easy to read while also being well written (a combination that is hard to find these days).  I really enjoyed this book, and if anyone is compelled to pick up this book...I'm sure you will enjoy it too! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment