Sunday, May 29, 2011

Books, and Bob


I know that Bob Marley is considered "over played."  I know that everyone has heard his songs five billion times.  But that wasn't Bob Marley's fault, and his music still sometimes really hits the spot.  Today, when I was driving down by the beach in my car, looking at the beautiful sunset, a really good Bob Marley song came on the radio.  It was "Waiting in Vain", a song about how he could no longer wait for a woman to love him in return.   That's not the part of the song that I rocked out to the most, it was the line, "In life I know there's lots of grief, but your love is my relief."  You get the idea.

I then went to the bookstore, and spent way too much money.  I haven't read things that weren't for school in eons, so I got a little too excited.  Well, I bought the following books:

- The Jungle, by Upton Sinclair - a book which examines the meatpacking district in Chicago, the book had a huge, profound social effect on the meat industry which resulted in President Teddy Roosevelt endorsing the passage of the Pure Food and Drug Laws.  This book illuminates the gross side of capitalism, so it should be an interesting read.

- Vintage Hughes, a Collection of poetry by Langston Hughes

- Tao Te Ching, by Lao Tzu - A classic Chinese philosophy book which explains the spiritual side of Daoism.

- My Bondage, and My Freedom by Frederick Douglass

- When You Are Engulfed in Flames by David Sedaris - I haven't even looked at the back of this book yet because David Sedaris is my favorite author, and I am more than excited to read it - no matter the subject!


Also, here's a funny Onion article to get the night started off right : Study: All American Problems Could Be Solved by Stopping and Thinking For Two Seconds

No comments:

Post a Comment